Re: Lingua Franca of the Web - Will SVG replace HTML?

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 22:25:57 -0000
To: "Charles F. Munat" <chas@munat.com>, <AndrewWatt2001@aol.com>, <www-talk@w3.org>, <www-html@w3.org>
> I commend your aggressive promotion of accessibility, Sean,
> but let's not forget that there are many for whom images are
> the key to accessibility.

Very true indeed, and the WAI have often been (rightly IMHO) accused of
neglecting this. But I still think that language is a primary means of
communication, and especially as images often have equivalents that can be
expresses otherwise. Actually, only a few days ago I was arguing the other
side of the coin: what textual alternative would you give to the Mona Lisa?
Media is a very important part of the Web, but not the most important part:
the most important thing is making sure that "everything is understandable
to all". If that means twinning language with images, then so be it, but
conser the consequences of this always: interoperability first and
foremost, please.

> I hope that you are right and that XHTML remains the lingua franca.

Oh, it will be; 1,000,000,000+ Web users can't be wrong...

--
Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer