Persistent connections and pipeling - basic question

From: Nic Ferrier <nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 23:37:46 +0100
To: www-talk@w3.org
I am trying to implement the server side of the persistent connection
contract.

I am using MS IE5 and the latest Mozilla build for testing of the
server and I find that persistent connections don't behave the way I
expected them to.

Here is what happens:
1. the user makes a request for an HTML page (which has some inline
images)
2. the client sends the request to the server with header:
Connection: keep-alive

[This part is fine - what I would expect]

3. the server responds with the HTML page and the header: Connection:
keep-alive

[my server uses chunked transfer-encodings for all transmissions]

4. the client recieves the HTML page
5. the client makes a new TCP/HTTP connection for each inline image
each connection has the header - Connection: keep-alive

[this is NOT what I expected, I expected that client would issue the
requests for the inline images on the same TCP/HTTP connection as for
the HTML page].

If anyone can help me understand if this is the correct behaviour or
if I am doing anything wrong I would be really gratefull.

Nic Ferrier
Tapsell-Ferrier Ltd
www.tapsellferrier.co.uk