Re: Persistent connections and pipeling - basic question

"Nic Ferrier" <nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk> writes:

>[my server uses chunked transfer-encodings for all transmissions]

Which of course means both the client and the server sent "HTTP/1.1"
in their first lines, right?

>4. the client recieves the HTML page
>5. the client makes a new TCP/HTTP connection for each inline image
>each connection has the header - Connection: keep-alive
>
>[this is NOT what I expected, I expected that client would issue the
>requests for the inline images on the same TCP/HTTP connection as for
>the HTML page].

Clients are allowed to start more than just one connection, even under
HTTP 1.1 rules.  If I recall correctly, the spec recommends but does
not require a limit of 2 connections to a site, but I've certainly seen
at least 4 from MS-IE 4.x.

You don't say whether or not the connections are being closed despite
the Connection: keep-alive (which isn't needed with HTTP 1.1 anyway),
or whether they're open but idle.  The former would be odd, the latter
is up to the browser to decide.

Ross Patterson
VM Software Division
Sterling Software, Inc.