Re: Dissemination of HTTP-NG info [was: hmmm]

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 13:41:40 -0700 (MST)
To: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
cc: connolly@w3.org, www-talk@w3.org, frystyk@w3.org, jg@w3.org
On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Koen Holtman wrote:

> Marc Slemko:
> >
> [...]
> >  There are serious issues with
> >HTTP/1.1 <-> network interactions, etc. that need to be dealt with in a
> >reasonable timeframe.
>
> I am not in the W3C HTTP-NG project, but it was my impression that
> they did not intend to be a platform for quickly dealing with serious
> network interaction problems in HTTP/1.1.  I believe there is no such
> platform now, mainly because of a (percieved) lack of really serious
> problems.

I see a very big perception that there are problems with HTTP's
interaction with networks.  The document that Henrik mentioned discusses
this a bit.

Now, there is a general lack of understanding regarding networks by many
HTTP type people and a general lack of understanding regarding HTTP by
many network type people, but...

> Now, if you can make a convincing case that there are serious problems
> (and I mean network-threatening problems, not just that HTTP/1.1 has
> way too much accumulated cruft in it), then you may find that a lot of
> the individuals in the IETF http-wg would be willing to get together
> and help you develop a short-term fix, in the form of yet another
> layer on top of HTTP/1.1.

Because of the nature of some of the changes required and the fact that
the HTTP-NG group is already working on them, I am reluctent to think that
the best solution is to make yet another protocol layer.