Re: Dissemination of HTTP-NG info [was: hmmm]

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 15:36:18 +0100 (MET)
To: marcs@znep.com (Marc Slemko)
Cc: connolly@w3.org, www-talk@w3.org, frystyk@w3.org, jg@w3.org
Marc Slemko:

[...]
>  There are serious issues with
>HTTP/1.1 <-> network interactions, etc. that need to be dealt with in a
>reasonable timeframe.

I am not in the W3C HTTP-NG project, but it was my impression that
they did not intend to be a platform for quickly dealing with serious
network interaction problems in HTTP/1.1.  I believe there is no such
platform now, mainly because of a (percieved) lack of really serious
problems.

Now, if you can make a convincing case that there are serious problems
(and I mean network-threatening problems, not just that HTTP/1.1 has
way too much accumulated cruft in it), then you may find that a lot of
the individuals in the IETF http-wg would be willing to get together
and help you develop a short-term fix, in the form of yet another
layer on top of HTTP/1.1.

However, I believe that HTTP/1.1 in its current form will get us
through the next few years.  As such, I have no problems with the W3C
taking the longer view and making an effort to develop a possible
successor protocol in a closed group.

>     Marc Slemko     | Apache Group member

Koen.