Re: Dissemination of HTTP-NG info [was: hmmm]

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:

> At 23:23 3/11/98 -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
>
> Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
> www-talk@w3.org, jg@w3.org
>
> >I don't think that the development of HTTP-NG is not being done in a
> >reasonable way (note the double negative); I can't think that because I
> >have nothing to base such a viewpoint on.  In the absence of more
> >information, and knowing who is involved, I can only guess that it is more
> >or less reasonable.
>
> I am very distressed about this. We have had extensive discussions on this
> with several people from the the Apache group with cc to
> <httpd-new@apache.org> on all my respones. However, I can't find them in
> the archives from neither January, February, nor March 1998:
>
> 	http://dev.apache.org/mail/

They are in:

	http://dev.apache.org/mail/nh.9802

> so my only conclusion is that as I am not subscribed to the mailing list
> then the mails have not gone through to the list.

Of course, it is an open list.  Somewhere on http://dev.apache.org/ there
are notes about how to subscribe.  You probably wouldn't want to though,
unless you like lots of mail.  Posting is restricted from non-subscribers,
but you are on the list of others who can post.

> Would it be possible for me to subscribe the Apache mailing list so that we
> can avoid this confusion in the future?
>
> It is very unfortunate and I believe a great waste of everybody's time - we
> should have made much more progress in our common understanding by now, so
> let me point out the main issues here again:
>
>    - No, you do *not* have to pay 50K to follow the NG project.

Right.  That is not at all clear from the information on the web, but is
what I have come to understand.

>    - No, you do *not* have to sign up for 50% of your time to follow either.
>      We have a separate mailing list (interest group) for discusssions and
>      comments on the rough working drafts that the Working Groups produce.

Exactly how is a non-W3C member supposed to sign up for this "interest
group"?  I am sure I have asked you before for more information on this
interest group, but have gotten no response.  From what I see, the only
link to any information on it is to:

	http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP-NG/Group/IG/

which is a restricted URL.

>    - No, we do *not* intend to replace a new generation of HTTP without
>      a large scale standadization process within IETF.

I am a bit worried about timeframes here if you go through a closed
development process, reach agreement there, then open it up at which point

I see a real need for progression beyond what can be offered by HTTP/1.x.
The lack of any apparent active work on that is sufficient to cause some
people to consider trying to form their own group.

> but on the other hand
>
>    - Yes, we *do* want to remain focused on the task with small groups
>    - Yes, we *do* want serious commitment from people directly participating
>      in the design group as the web characterization group (hence the
>      50% here).
>    - Yes, we *do* need a trusted environment to discuss ideas and solutions

Agreed.

> I have suggested that the interest group would be a great place to start by
> signing up a few people from the Apache group if just someone would
> actually step up to the plate.

Easier said than done.

> The HTTP-NG Project *is* explained in quite a lot of details from the page
>
> 	http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP-NG/Activity.html

I am almost positive that this page didn't exist with this level of
information a couple of months ago but yes, it does provide a reasonable
amount of useful information.