Re: Improve the traffic condition on the Internet

From: Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 11:51:04 +0100 (MET)
To: gh@748pku.pku.edu.cn (Gao Hong)
Cc: www-talk@w3.org
> Alexei Novikov wrote:
> >As you have mentioned connection can be very slow, but to my mind the
> >main problem arrises when you are loading images ( that are already
> >sensibly compressed ), but not downloading text that is much smaller in
> >size and occupies probably 30 % or less.
> Actually the graphic and audio file is not the main traffic on the
> low speed network.  When the transfer rate is very slow, no one
> dare to get those files.  The main traffic on such net is the text
> files(include HTML files of course) and the compress rate for the
> text file is almost 70%, especially those file with JAVASCRIPT.

This is very true, but...

> Based on such thought, I think the compression over the text(html)
> file is neccesary and feasible.
> But my idea about compression is not the traditional ones that the
> compressed file can only be expanded after the file transfer process
> is completed.  To make the reader feel no difference when reading
> the compressed file, the expanding process must be able to output
> the expanded information little by little so that in the transfer

this is what "compressing" modems do. Which might render an additional
compression layer useless.

Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/