302 Redirect & POST

From: <S.N.Brodie@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 16:00:50 +0100 (BST)
To: www-talk@www10.w3.org

According to the HTTP/1.0 Internet Draft (March 8 1995) on page 30, it
comments that it is possible for the server to respond to a PUT, POST or
DELETE request with a 302 Redirect response, and that the user agent must
not automatically redirect the request unless the user confirms.

I am POSTing form contents (at a CERN 3.0 server) and receiving a
redirect.  Once the user has confirmed that it is OK to redirect,
should I send the POST command and the form data to the new URL,
or issue a GET?  I had presumed that I send the POST.

I ask this because when posting a form, I came across this redirection
which I OK'ed, and when I attempted a POST at the new URL, I get back
"500 This server not configured to handle POST".  Now this is the same server
which issued the redirection in response to the POST in the first place.

Was I incorrect to reissue the POST at the new URL?

The particular page in question is:
<URL:http://www.acorn.co.uk/comment>

--
Stewart Brodie
Dept. Electronics & Computer Science, Southampton University, UK.