Re: Dynamic HTML documents with client pull

On Apr 28,  6:57am, Joerg Rhiemeier wrote:
> Subject: Re: Dynamic HTML documents with client pull
>
> In message <v0151010cabc660f3d752@[130.237.112.5]>,
> Ulf.Kronman@it.ki.se wrote:
>
> >First, sorry if this is some kind of a FAQ or has been debated here
before...

> >I was looking at Web page yesterday, when Netscape (1.1 mac) suddenly
> >started to download a new page by itself. I thougth that I had clicked on a
> >link by mistake, but this repeated several times without my intervention.
> >Very annoying, because I hadn't time to read the first page before the
> >second came.
>

> The <META...> element is legal HTML 3.0, and the HTTP-EQUIV attribute
> also.  Its purpose is to add HTTP headers, for example
>
> <META HTTP-EQUIV=Expires CONTENT="Sat, 6 May 1995 12:00:00 GMT">
>
> creates the following HTTP header:
>
> Expires: Sat, 6 May 1995 12:00:00 GMT
>
> However, AFAIK, there is no such thing as a `Refresh' header.
>
> I am pretty sure that this is Netsc[r]ape-spectific.  I haven't found it
> in the IETF HTTP drafts, and I have to agree with Ulf Kronman that such a
> behaviour is evil, rude and nasty.

This header was suggested by other members of the www-talk list
back in December or January so we implemented it.

It took more than a year for FORMS to make it into any spec, in fact
they still are not in any official spec, so it's no suprise that
the Refresh header isn't in the HTTP spec yet.

> This means that Netscrape does not only add extensions to their
> browser, but also to their *server* which is much, much worse!

You should do a little more research.  Extra headers are added by
cgi scripts and require no server modifications.  The refresh header
can be added to any HTTP server.

:lou

--
Lou Montulli                 http://www.mcom.com/people/montulli/