Automatic Filter for Accented Characters ?

From: Jose Fernando Tepedino Martins <jftm@di.ufpe.br>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 95 18:10:26 EST
To: www-talk@www10.w3.org
Hi,

   I am very new to this list. Sorry if this is a FAQ (could someone
please tell me where it can be obtained)?

   I've been using for a long time files with characters with accents
(ISO 8859 standard) in most of my editing works (vi, textedit, latex).
One thing that intrigues me is the Latin-1 representation in HTML
documents, as:
                "&aacute;"  for small a acute letter.
I know that this representation is more adequate than the accented
character since it uses only characters within 7-bit representation.

   I have now a lot of documents with accented characters, and I love
them, because they make the text much more readable than using any other
codification. I've been wondering if I really should run a transformation
program for each HTML file I write before putting it in the WWW Server
public area. What I mean is:

-> Is there a way to associate a filter to the WWW Server in order
   that it reads the HTML documents with 8-bit characters (with accented
   characters) and send a 7-bit (as &eacute;...) equivalent codification?

   Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

   Thank in advance,

      Fernando.
      |  Jose Fernando Tepedino              |
      |  e-mail: jftm@di.ufpe.br             |
      |  www: http://www.di.ufpe.br/~jftm    |
      |  Departamento de Informatica         |
      |  Universidade Federal de Pernambuco  |
      |  50740-540    Recife     Brasil      |