Re: Fall back strategy for manifest

From: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 11:13:09 +0000
To: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Cc: Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>

On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:

> On 27/01/2014 22:16 , Marcos Caceres wrote:
> > Also, I'm told that using the HTML doesn't work as nicely with
> > packaged apps, when compared to the JSON file. The JSON gives a inert
> > resource where the UA can find metadata about an app without needing
> > to scrape or run the HTML.
>

> I agree with Ted's proposal, but FWIW where metadata extraction is
> concerned it should not be considered a problem to process HTML as if it
> were an inert resource as well. Anyone setting metadata in script
> deserves to be ignored. Sure enough it's more costly than processing
> JSON, but inertness oughtn't be a reason — it can be specified.

So, I agree that the HTML should come first - and this works nicely for things like the application-name. What I'm still not 100% on is what I should do with things like icons... if one set of icons is declared in the HTML, should I bother looking for the icons in the manifest at all (i.e., should I union them)?

--
Marcos Caceres