Re: Split Browsers on the Rise?

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 12:39 AM, Karl Dubost <karl@la-grange.net> wrote:
> There are different types in this list

Indeed.

> Those which
> * compress resources on the fly (Opera Turbo, Google, etc)

It's worthwhile to split this type into those that terminate TLS on
the server in order to compress TLS payloads and into those that
terminate TLS on the client and, therefore, the server cannot compress
TLS payloads, but end-to-end encryption remains intact.

(I'm not sure which products terminate TLS on the server,  and I don't
want to name any based on vague press reports without testing myself.)

> * send a customized content to a thin client (Opera Mini, etc.)

(This type obviously has to terminate TLS on the server.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@hsivonen.fi