Re: Split Browsers on the Rise?

From: Bruce Lawson <brucel@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 09:48:10 +0100
To: Karl Dubost <karl@la-grange.net>
Cc: Appelquist Daniel <Daniel.Appelquist@telefonica.com>, www-tag <www-tag@w3.org>
> Appelquist Daniel (UK) [2013-09-16T07:28]:
>> * Opera Mini (what's going on with this in light of Opera's move to
>> Chromium?)

Opera Mini is still Presto (for now).

>> * Amazon Silk
>> * Nokia Xpress browser (on Nokia Asha phones)
>         if I remember it was Gecko under the hood.
>> * now Google Chrome for IOS / Android

Opera 16 for Android (released yesterday) swapped out its Off-Road
mode, which went through the mini servers, and replaced it with a new
version which compresses on the fly, but doesn't got through the mini
servers (= JavaScript works as expected). I hope to publish mode
details on how, but need bosstype approval.

Perhaps tangentially, it's important to note that the canard that
"Opera Mini is for feature phones" is untrue. Today, Opera announced
more than 100 Android devices in India, Bangladesh and Nepal are
pre-installed with Opera Mini. It's not the power of the phone, it's
the network. Again, I intend to write this up soon but here it in
breathless pressrelease-ese:
http://business.opera.com/press/releases/mobile/2013-09-19_2