Re: Definition of the Public Web

On 6/27/13 12:22 PM, Appelquist Daniel (UK) wrote:
> Might it be useful for this group to attempt to define what is meant by the term "public Web?" It's a term I think gets thrown around a lot but it seems to not have a formal definition. And if this group is going to try to focus its attention on the public Web then maybe we would benefit from having a shared definition of this term?
>
> Would someone like to take a crack at a straw man?
>
> Dan

Dan,

Let me try.

The term "Web" really means web-like or webby. Thus, when you have
documents comprised of hypermedia based structured content, where
de-referencable (or resolvable) URIs are integral components of the
structure, the end product is web-like (or webby) document content. This
is basically what you get with an HTML document.

Nothing about being web-like implies being public or private, that's
determined by the resolvable URIs which ultimately depend on underlying
network infrastructure (ip addresses or dns abstraction).

Coincidentally, I was playing around with the original World Wide Web
proposal illustration which lead to a tweak where I replace the literal
names with HTTP URIs [1]. Net effect, you you can basically bring the
original proposal to life in a manner that actually showcases what
web-like or webby actually means.

Links:

1. http://bit.ly/10Y9FL1 -- original World Wide Web proposal enhanced
with HTTP URIs as mechanism for giving names to relations (links) and
entities that are members of said relations

2. http://bit.ly/1aIiD0L -- folder / directory listing of all the
resources I used (including the OmniGraffle source file).

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO