Re: Definition of the Public Web

From: John Kemp <john@jkemp.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 13:01:15 -0400
Cc: www-tag <www-tag@w3.org>
To: "Appelquist Daniel (UK)" <Daniel.Appelquist@telefonica.com>
On Jun 27, 2013, at 12:22 PM, Appelquist Daniel (UK) wrote:

> Might it be useful for this group to attempt to define what is meant by the term "public Web?" It's a term I think gets thrown around a lot but it seems to not have a formal definition. And if this group is going to try to focus its attention on the public Web then maybe we would benefit from having a shared definition of this term?

I would worry that it would then be possible for people to say "oh, my stuff is on the _public_ web as defined by W3C, but _their_ stuff, over there, is private", and I don't think that would be very helpful, given that the web has been successfully defined by inclusivity.

Shouldn't web technologies continue to be inclusive, irrespective of where they are used?

JohnK