Re: License Feedback

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 7:31 PM, Renato Iannella
<ri@semanticidentity.com> wrote:

> On 12 Oct 2012, at 07:57, Ashok Malhotra <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm changing cc:license to xhv:license.  I'm presuming you agree.
>
> It depends if this spec implies that this is the normative mechanism to link to a license, or if it is just providing examples?

Let's see, "normative" = "Establishing, relating to, or deriving from
a standard or norm, esp. of behavior" ?

Creative Commons says you should (i.e. they think it is a norm to) use
xhv:license. See
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/CC_REL
Since they're the ones who brought this kind of annotation to the Web,
I think they are in a better position than anyone to propose or
observe norms. I think I was the one to recommend that a document
coming from the TAG ought to recognize CC as an authority and use
xhv:license.

Maybe that's not the best design or clearest semantics, but it's the
way to do it that is most likely to be recognized by
license-annotation consumers, who are more likely to have read CC's
documentation, than any other. If you think something else is better
maybe you should give them advice or urge them to get involved in the
appropriate working group.

Best
Jonathan