Re: HTTP Range 14

On 3/4/12 3:36 PM, Christopher Gutteridge wrote:
> I doubted I was the first to suggest something like it. A quick look
> at tdb: and yes, it's pretty much exactly the same idea I was suggesting.
>
> Having tried to explain RDF to many programmers at hack days etc.
> having URIs for real-world things start with http: is a hurdle to them
> understanding what's going on.

But it isn't about URIs for real-world things. It's about URIs for
description subjects. The issue of real-world things as focal point is
part of the problem. This is all about describing anything, rather than
a specific category (or kind) of thing. I can describe a Web Page if I
choose, that doesn't alter the fundamental issue at hand.

A URI can identify a Document.
A URI can identify a Document Location. This is also a URL, a subclass
or kind of URI.
A URI can identify a document Subject.
Anything can be a Document Subject.

RDF is just about how you represent the description of a subject via a
document.

Ironically, most developers actually understand all of this (and
more..). What they don't actually understand is the language used in W3C
specs.

Kingsley

--

Regards,