Re: HTTP Range 14

On 04/03/2012 19:32, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
 > Graham,
 >
 > The problem with new URI schemes is that you can't get browsers to support them.
 > Browsers are the main source of the current problems. [...]

Well,  I wasn't advocating or dismissing any particular solution, just pointing
out a similarity with an existing proposal.

As for the browsers being the problem... well, maybe I'm out on a limb, but I
happen to believe there's more to the Web than just browsers.

And as for the infrastructure that "just works" - I guess that's true if you
don't look too far beyond current capabilities and expectations.  But even
there, Jonathan's analysis of the issue points out that, among other things,
there is a lack of clarity in the handling of "landing pages" - one that I've
run up against but didn't previously recognize as a manifestation of the old
"HTTP-range-14" problem.

Technically, I believe the current muddle can indeed be made to "just work". But
the web is more than just a technical system - it's people too.  And I think
there are times when what people expect diverges from what the technology
delivers, leading to outcomes that may be technically correct, but not useful in
the sense of not meeting people's expectations.  If we can find a narrative that
makes better sense of the present technical architecture, which I think
Jonathan's recent postings could lead towards, then that will be great.  But
until then, I won't completely close my mind to alternative solutions, even if
that means additional URI schemes.

#g