Re: HTML5 proposes introduction of new family of URI schemes

From: Jonathan A Rees <rees@mumble.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:10:59 -0500
To: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Cc: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
I was wondering - is the registered handler supposed to work with all
applications, or just web browsers? For example, mail readers, PDF
viewers, document and spreadsheet composers - anything that exposes
actionable hyperlinks. If so then this is really an OS-level feature
and I wonder what it's doing in an HTML specification. (Especially
since browsers aren't the only containers for Javascript... right?)
What's the intended mechanism - the OS looks at the browser
configuration, or vice versa, or it doesn't matter? If not then why
not? Can general users tell the difference between a browser and the
rest of their application software suite?

I also note that this is an awful lot like HTTP proxy server
configuration and "parental controls", both of which interfere with
URI handling. Maybe there useful analogies to the configuration and
security experience in those areas.

Jonathan