Re: HTML5 proposes introduction of new family of URI schemes

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 03:08:20 +0100
To: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Cc: "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>
* Robin Berjon wrote:
>I think that there's some confusion and conflation going on in this
>thread. To help alleviate it, I've created the following trivial demo:
>
>    http://berjon.com/tmp/rph.html

Doesn't do anything when loading the page, but when I click the "send an
MMS" link it starts Windows Media Player with a playlist consisting of
the only track I ever played in it, very long ago. "mms" apparently is
for "Microsoft Media Server", I don't see really how I could send some
"Microsoft Media Server" to anybody by clicking some hypertext link. If
your point is that people should not make up random URI schemes without
proper registration and standardization I am sold, but you seemed to be
arguing more in the direction of ... the opposite. (Opera v11.52 on
Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition with no relevant customization).