Re: HTML5 proposes introduction of new family of URI schemes

On Jan 19, 2012, at 17:09 , Eric J. Bowman wrote:
> This is the first I'm hearing of this, and I'm tired of being
> blindsided by greenfield protocol-layer solutions to problems I never
> knew we had, arising from standardization work on a markup language...

How is the web platform expected to be viable if it cannot perform some tasks that are trivial for installed applications? In what way is this API a protocol-layer solution?

> Can I get back to work now, instead of arguing the obvious point that
> this is a user-agent configuration I as a developer want no control
> over?

Well except that there are quite a few developers, yours truly included, who really want this functionality. In fact, as indicated earlier, I find that some parts of it don't go anywhere near far enough.