W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-tag@w3.org > August 2011

Minutes for August 11 Telcon

From: ashok malhotra <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 10:52:56 -0700
Message-ID: <4E46B9F8.6050400@oracle.com>
To: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
Minutes for August 11 Telcon are at Minutes for August 11 Telcon
and in text below.

[1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                               TAG Weekly

11 Aug 2011

    [2]Agenda

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/08/11-agenda

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2011/08/11-tagmem-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Jonathan_Rees, Peter_Linss, Ashok_Malhotra, Henry_Thompson,
           Noah_Mendelsohn

    Regrets
           TimBl, Jeni_Tennison, Dan_Appelquist, Larry_Masinter

    Chair
           Noah Mendelsohn

    Scribe
           Ashok

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Convene
          2. [6]Administrative
          3. [7]Planning for Sept. 2011 F2F
          4. [8]Overdue Actions
          5. [9]Telcons in August
      * [10]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________

    <scribe>  scribe: Ashok

    <scribe>  Scribenick: Ashok

Convene

    Approval of minutes

    <noah>  14 July: [11]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/08/11-agenda

      [11] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/08/11-agenda

    Minutes appoved without objection

    <noah>  12 July 2011:
    [12]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/07/21-minutes

      [12] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/07/21-minutes

    Minutes appoved without objection

    <noah>  4 August 2011:
    [13]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/08/04-minutes

      [13] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/08/04-minutes

    Minutes appoved without objection

Administrative

    Discussion of f2f in Edinburgh

    <noah>  HT: We can add other people to the hotel reservation. Contact
    me if you want me to reserve for you.

    <noah>  HT: If you can't reach Henry, contact Noah

Planning for Sept. 2011 F2F

    JAR: Manu will send mail re. microdata

Overdue Actions

    <noah>  Sorted by owner:
    [14]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/overdue?sort=owne
    r

      [14] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/overdue?sort=owner

    <noah>  ACTION-566?

    <trackbot>  ACTION-566 -- Daniel Appelquist to contact Alissa Cooper,
    organize a future joint discussion on privacy with IAB. -- due
    2011-07-19 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>  [15]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/566

      [15] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/566

    Noah: We should continue to liaise with IAB -- keep Thomas in loop

    <noah>  NM: And Yves, of course

    Noah: and PLH

    <noah>  NM: Our liaisons are Thomas and Philippe

    <noah>  YL: Yes

    <noah>  NM: What to do about privacy at the Sept. F2F?

    <noah>  AM: Noah, you had asked us to look at Do Not Track working
    group charter.

    <noah>  AM: I didn't manage to sync up with Dan

    <noah>  NM: Product page shows Privacy Friendly Web (early draft of
    report product page needed) Daniel Appelquist, Ashok Malhotra

    <noah>  NM: No specific product page, but this:
    [16]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/products/PrivacyFriendlyWeb.html

      [16] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/products/PrivacyFriendlyWeb.html

    <noah>  ACTION-583?

    <trackbot>  ACTION-583 -- Ashok Malhotra to (with help from Dan)
    organize TAG review of proposed W3C charter on tracking protection
    (privacy) Due 2011-07-26 -- due 2011-07-21 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>  [17]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/583

      [17] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/583

    <noah>  AM: Not sure what TAG can contribute now, given formation of
    working group.

    <noah>  NM: Working group is mostly scoped to Do Not Track?

    <noah>  AM: Yes

    <jar>  [18]http://www.w3.org/2011/07/privacy-ig-charter

      [18] http://www.w3.org/2011/07/privacy-ig-charter

    <noah>  AM: Larry had suggested a threat model, and from it derive
    weaknesses. Maybe we're too late to do that.

    <noah>  AM: Jonathan, that's the IG charter.

    <jar>
    [19]http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/charter-draft.html

      [19] http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/charter-draft.html

    Noah: The privacy-fiendly web does not have a product page
    ... at the f2f we can have a short discussion of whether we should
    do future work in this area

    <noah>  NM: Propose at minimum a short F2F discussion of deciding
    whether we have a "product" in the privacy area, and if so with what
    scope goals, etc. If someone prepares a more detailed report, we
    could review that.

    HT: Registers modest amount of scepticism about this area

    <noah>  HT: Worried about lack of TAG background and skill set.

    <noah>  AM: Was about to agree with you. Not worth the time unless
    someone steps up and says "think about thus and so...". Haven't
    heard that.

    JAR: Agrees with HT. I'm missing a framework.

    Noah: We can explain to people the expectations they should have
    when using the Web
    ... we could make a contribution along those lines for privacy.

    <jar>  You're talking about security, not privacy, Noah

    Noah: Educate people about privacy on the Web

    JAR: Framework will not come from us

    <jar>  This group is not going to originate any high level ideas on
    privacy

    Noah: Should we spend half an hour on this?

    jar: Only if someone has something to bring to the table

    <noah>  NM: Scope of F2F, whether to keep working in this area.

    Ashok: Half an hour at most

    Noah: Discusses with HT re. Interaction for Web Apps

    jar: Dan was going to work on it

    <noah>  ACTION-341?

    <trackbot>  ACTION-341 -- Yves Lafon to follow up with Thomas about
    security review activities for HTML5 -- due 2011-05-10 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>  [20]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/341

      [20] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/341

    Yves: I will check with Thomas

    <noah>  also ACTION-516?

    <trackbot>  ACTION-516 -- Yves Lafon to talk with Thomas Roessler
    about organizing W3C architecture work on security -- due 2011-07-19
    -- OPEN

    <trackbot>  [21]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/516

      [21] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/516

    Yves: Charter being discussed

    <noah>  NM: Do we want F2F discussion on security

    <noah>  YL: Yes.

    <noah>  NM: What scope

    <noah>  ACTION-515?

    <trackbot>  ACTION-515 -- Larry Masinter to (as trackbot proxy for
    John) who will publish
    [22]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/02/security-web.html, slightly
    cleaned up, with help from Noah and Larry -- due 2011-07-30 -- OPEN

      [22] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/02/security-web.html

    <trackbot>  [23]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/515

      [23] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/515

    <noah>  AM: Discusion of security wiki

    <jar>  Don't we already have a security wiki?

    <jar>  Maybe it's just a cors/ump wiki.

    <noah>  NM: Scope is, once again, what should the TAG do about
    security

    HT: Need someone to bring something to the table

    <noah>  NM: So probably a security session, but with concern about
    spinning wheels

    <noah>  ACTION-554?

    <trackbot>  ACTION-554 -- Noah Mendelsohn to formulate product page
    for TAG work on security including John Kemp security draft Due:
    2011-05-24 -- due 2011-08-16 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>  [24]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/554

      [24] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/554

    <noah>  Email from Tobias Gondrum:
    [25]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2011Aug/0026.html

      [25] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2011Aug/0026.html

    <noah>  AM: He is chair of one of the working groups

    <noah>  ACTION-572?

    <trackbot>  ACTION-572 -- Yves Lafon to look at appcache in HTML5 --
    due 2011-07-29 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>  [26]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/572

      [26] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/572

    Yves: keep open so we can discuss

    <noah>  ACTION-572 PENDING REVIEW

    Noah: Suggest we wait for Dan ... pending review ... not worth f2f
    time

    <noah>  ACTION-519?

    <trackbot>  ACTION-519 -- Peter Linss to frame architectural
    opportunities relating to scalability of resource access -- due
    2011-08-02 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>  [27]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/519

      [27] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/519

    Peter: I have not had time to work on this

    <noah>  ACTION-519 Due: 2011-10-18

    Noah: Should we pick a date like mid-October ... how about Oct 18?

    <noah>  ACTION-519 Due 2011-10-18

    <trackbot>  ACTION-519 Frame architectural opportunities relating to
    scalability of resource access due date now 2011-10-18

    <noah>  ACTION-583?

    <trackbot>  ACTION-583 -- Ashok Malhotra to (with help from Dan)
    organize TAG review of proposed W3C charter on tracking protection
    (privacy) Due 2011-07-26 -- due 2011-07-21 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>  [28]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/583

      [28] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/583

    <noah>  ACTION-523?

    <trackbot>  ACTION-523 -- Ashok Malhotra to (with help from Noah)
    build good product page for client storage finding, identifying top
    questions to be answered on client side storage -- due 2011-04-05 --
    OPEN

    <trackbot>  [29]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/523

      [29] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/523

    <noah>  AM: Should we close ACTION-583, given that charter is out
    now?

    <noah>  NM: Why not comment now if there are problems?

    <noah>  AM: OK, I sent email to Dan, I can let the rest of you take a
    look

    <noah>  NM: Please let me know if you think this should be part of
    F2F discussion.

    <noah>  ACTION-583 Due 2011-08-30

    <trackbot>  ACTION-583 (with help from Dan) organize TAG review of
    proposed W3C charter on tracking protection (privacy) Due 2011-07-26
    due date now 2011-08-30

    <noah>  ACTION-523?

    <trackbot>  ACTION-523 -- Ashok Malhotra to (with help from Noah)
    build good product page for client storage finding, identifying top
    questions to be answered on client side storage -- due 2011-04-05 --
    OPEN

    <trackbot>  [30]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/523

      [30] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/523

    <noah>  AM: I think we should wait on this, discuss briefly at the
    F2F. Discuss where we're going.

    <noah>  NM: If we're going to have F2F discussion, I'd like a draft
    product page as input

    <noah>  AM: I'm actually having trouble figuring out what matters
    here.

    <noah>  NM: OK, then maybe we do need technical discussion

    <noah>  ACTION-523?

    <trackbot>  ACTION-523 -- Ashok Malhotra to (with help from Noah)
    build good product page for client storage finding, identifying top
    questions to be answered on client side storage -- due 2011-04-05 --
    OPEN

    <trackbot>  [31]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/523

      [31] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/523

    <noah>  ACTION-523 Due 2011-08-30

    <trackbot>  ACTION-523 (with help from Noah) build good product page
    for client storage finding, identifying top questions to be answered
    on client side storage due date now 2011-08-30

    <noah>  ACTION-574?

    <trackbot>  ACTION-574 -- Ashok Malhotra to review
    [32]http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hammer-hostmeta/?include_t
    ext=1 in preparation for TAG review Due 2011-07-12 -- due 2011-06-30
    -- OPEN

      [32] http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hammer-hostmeta/?include_text=1

    <trackbot>  [33]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/574

      [33] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/574

    <noah>  AM: Jonathan and I took a look, turned out we didn't have a
    lot to say. I think spec is mature. We should close the action.
    Jonathan?

    <noah>  JAR: Not swapped in.

    <noah>  JAR: Ah, host meta.

    <noah>  JAR: Long ago, Sandro raised question of XML vs. RDF. I don't
    feel that strongly.

    <noah>  JAR: Does relate to work on definition discovery.

    <noah>  NM: Close the action, as Ashok suggests?

    <noah>  JAR: Yes, without implying feedback pro or con

    <noah>  close ACTION-574

    <trackbot>  ACTION-574 Review
    [34]http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hammer-hostmeta/?include_t
    ext=1 in preparation for TAG review Due 2011-07-12 closed

      [34] http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hammer-hostmeta/?include_text=1

    <noah>  ACTION-472?

    <trackbot>  ACTION-472 -- Larry Masinter to update the mime-draft
    based on comments&  review -- due 2011-07-30 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>  [35]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/472

      [35] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/472

    <noah>  NM: Do we know if he wants to ramp down TAG's part of the
    work?

    <noah>  JAR: My impression is he wants discussion, if only to figure
    next steps.

    <noah>  NM: Note product page
    [36]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/products/mimeweb.html is high
    priority. So we at least need to explicitly declare success/failure,
    etc.

      [36] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/products/mimeweb.html

    <noah>  NM: We WILL discuss at F2F

    <noah>  ACTION-531?

    <trackbot>  ACTION-531 -- Larry Masinter to draft document on
    architectural good practice relating to registries -- due 2011-07-30
    -- OPEN

    <trackbot>  [37]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/531

      [37] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/531

    <noah>  NM: Same answer?

    <noah>  JAR: Yes.

    <noah>  ACTION-509?

    <trackbot>  ACTION-509 -- Jonathan Rees to communicate with RDFa WG
    regarding documenting the fragid / media type issue -- due
    2011-06-15 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>  [38]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/509

      [38] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/509

    jar: My recommendation is to remove the words "at present"

    <jar>
    [39]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2011Jun/0113.html

      [39] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2011Jun/0113.html

    <noah>   From their draft:

    <noah>  "In some of the examples below we have used IRIs with
    fragment identifiers that are local to the document containing the
    RDFa fragment identifiers shown (e.g., 'about="#me"'). This idiom,
    which is also used in RDF/XML [RDF-SYNTAX-GRAMMAR] and other RDF
    serializations, gives a simple way to 'mint' new IRIs for entities
    described by RDFa and therefore contributes considerably to the
    expressive power of RDFa. Unfortunately, this practice is not at
    present cover

    jar: I suggested 4 options

    <noah>  HT: Fussing with the wording before settling the
    architectural issue isn't necessarily the best course. Not that I
    will necessarily understand the architectural issue, and I have
    taken some responsibility for moving on the larger cluster of
    fragid-related issues.

    Noah: shall we bump the due date and cross-reference with other
    frag-id issue

    HT: Cross-reference with product page

    <noah>  NM: The ACTION is on the fragid product page. Bump the date
    and move on?

    HT: We should discuss at f2f

    <noah>  ACTION-509 Due 2011-09-15

    <trackbot>  ACTION-509 Communicate with RDFa WG regarding documenting
    the fragid / media type issue due date now 2011-09-15

    <noah>  ACTION-478?

    <trackbot>  ACTION-478 -- Jonathan Rees to prepare a second draft of
    a finding on persistence of references, to be based on decision tree
    from Oct. 2010 F2F -- due 2011-08-09 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>  [40]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/478

      [40] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/478

    <jar>  for the record jar favors (b) remove "at present" - it's a
    hedge, and has the virtue of removing the implicit promise of future
    work

    <noah>  JAR: Still intend to work on ACTION-478

    <noah>  Jonathan, will you just let me know later whether you favor a
    F2F slot?

    Noah: We don't have a product page for this

    <noah>  NM: Worth doing product page now?

    <noah>  NM: Could clarify what we're about.

    <noah>  JAR: Could do at the F2F

    Noah: should we think about that or just continue with technical
    work

    <noah>  ACTION-576?

    <trackbot>  ACTION-576 -- Jonathan Rees to with help from Henry to
    figure out impact of RDFa core on generic fragids story, especially
    in 3023bis Due 2011-7-12 -- due 2011-06-30 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>  [41]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/576

      [41] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/576

    <noah>  ACTION-541?

    <trackbot>  ACTION-541 -- Jeni Tennison to helped by DKA to produce a
    first draft of terminology about (deep-)linking etc. -- due
    2011-07-26 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>  [42]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/541

      [42] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/541

    <noah>  Noah to find Jeni and/or Dan to figure out whether ACTION-541
    needs time at the F2F

    <noah>  HT: We need to do something that gets into the public media

    Noah: Something that gets published

    <noah>  Note, that we have a June 2012 target for a W3C Proposed
    Recommendation. Does that work?

    HT: Educate people about linking

    Noah: For the media we need something pithy

    <noah>
    [43]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/overdue?sort=owne
    r

      [43] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/overdue?sort=owner

    <noah>  ACTION-560?

    <trackbot>  ACTION-560 -- Henry Thompson to review HTML polyglot last
    call Due 2011-06-06 -- due 2011-06-02 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>  [44]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/560

      [44] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/560

    <noah>  ACTION-528?

    <trackbot>  ACTION-528 -- Henry Thompson to create and get consensus
    on a product page and tracker product page for persistence of names
    -- due 2011-08-10 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>  [45]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/528

      [45] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/528

    <noah>  HT: We've talked about 528

    <noah>  HT: Aside from things already (fragids and persistence of
    domains) nothing for me at the F2F

    HT: Nothing that else will come up at f2f ... we have discussed
    frag-ids and persistence of identifiers

    Ashok: I will work on Client-Side state draft

Telcons in August

    HT: Cannot do telcon next week

    Noah: I will send mail re. future telcons

Summary of Action Items

    [End of minutes]


-- 
All the best, Ashok
Received on Saturday, 13 August 2011 17:53:29 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 26 April 2012 12:48:39 GMT