W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-tag@w3.org > September 2010

MIME and the Web directions

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 08:59:37 -0700
To: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
CC: Ashok Malhotra <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>
Message-ID: <C68CB012D9182D408CED7B884F441D4D013BDF4C62@nambxv01a.corp.adobe.com>
I don't have anything new to read with respect to the "MIME
and the web" document that I'm working on moving into an IETF
RFC, but I can give an update on some additional topics I want
to elaborate, mainly to schedule the discussion for future
dates and review.

I want to bring in a little of the previous discussions
about:

* variations (when there are multiple, different implementations
 and specifications for the same MIME type, all of which claim
 or claimed to be authoritative)
* versions (when specifications evolve over time)
* inline identifiers (to distinguish between variations and versions)
* compound types (both container types and things like HTML+SVG)
* (distributed) extensibility points which allow private or
  proposed extensions
* sniffing

While these all are issues that apply to text/html, they also
apply to other MIME types (e.g. image/tiff, application/pdf).

I also want to separate out the "Informational" aspects of the
document (history of MIME, discussion of model, etc.) from the
"Recommendation" parts which might propose changes to the MIME
registration procedures in IANA and IETF as well as to W3C
groups defining formats that have MIME types, with the hope that
a consensus on the former will help in coming to consensus on
the latter.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net

-----Original Message-----
From: www-tag-request@w3.org [mailto:www-tag-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Noah Mendelsohn
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:41 AM
To: www-tag@w3.org
Cc: Amy van der Hiel; Ashok Malhotra
Subject: Late additions to the agenda for today's TAG call

I have made two late additions to the agenda for today's TAG teleconference:

1) Brief discussion of meeting with IETF representative(s) at TPAC

2) ACTION-442 [1] which is on Ashok, and which has the title "Try and 
integrate NM and TVRs words into a coherent draft".  This relates to text 
Ashok had written on client-side manipulation of URIs.  I believe it was at 
the March meeting at MIT that I suggested some additions, and Ashok 
volunteered to try drafting.  That was done at [2], an email from Ashok 
which contains a first cut at proposed text.  Please read it if you have 
time before the call (I know it's short notice, and if necessary we'll 
defer substantive discussion until the next call.)  See also the short 
thread following Ashok's email.

By the way, the reason I kept forgetting to schedule this one is that it's 
been ready for some time, but is still marked ACTIVE rather than PENDING 
REVIEW in tracker.  Although I do try to scan open actions as well, there 
are a lot of them, and it can be hard for me to remember where each of them 
stands.  PENDING REVIEW is the marking you should use, in most cases, if 
you want an action scheduled for discussion.  I check in detail all pending 
review actions each time I do an agenda.  Thank you.

Noah


[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/442
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/tag/2010Sep/0002.html

On 9/14/2010 10:50 PM, Noah Mendelsohn wrote:
> The agenda for the TAG teleconference of 16 September 2010 is available at
> [1,2] and in text-only form below. Thank you.
>
> Noah
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2010/09/16-agenda
> [2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/tag-weekly
>
> [1]W3C | [2]TAG | Previous: : [3]2 September 2010 Next: [4]23
> September 2010
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/
> [2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/
> [3] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2010/09/02-agenda
> [4] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2010/09/23-agenda
>
> Agenda of 16 September 2010 TAG Teleconference
>
> Nearby: [5]Teleconference details - [6]issues list - [7]open actions
> - [8]pending review actions - [9]www-tag archive - [10]tag archive
> 1. Convene
> + Chair: Noah Scribe: Larry Masinter ([11]unconfirmed), or if
> Larry's not available, Henry Thompson (unconfirmed)
> + Roll call
> + Future regrets:
> + Agenda Review - [12]this agenda
> + Next Meeting: 23 Sept. 2010 Chair: Noah Mendelsohn
> + Future scribes: Henry Thompson - > Ashok Malhotra - > John
> Kemp
> 2. Approve minutes of prior meeting(s)
> + [13]2 September 2010 (Noah cleaned up some formatting since
> DanA first circulated this; no significant changes to
> content.)
> 3. Administrative items
> + 19-21 October 2010 F2F @ Google
> o [14]room availability confirmed
> o Agree on hotel?
> o Who is coming?
> + Noah to contact TAG members with writing assignments
> 4. [15]ISSUE-63 (metadataArchitecture-63): Metadata Architecture
> + [16]ACTION-282: on - Jonathan Rees - Draft a finding on
> metadata architecture. - Due: 2010-10-05 - OPEN
> + [17]Email from Jonathan: this assignment needs better
> focus, and we are looking for other TAG members to move
> this forward
> 5. [18]ISSUE-39 (rdfURIMeaning-39-27): Generic Fragment ID
> Processing
> + The TAG developed a [19]change proposal for RFC 3023bis at
> the June TAG 2010 F2F (London). Several commentators
> expressed concern with the TAG's proposal, and we
> [20]promised to take up these concerns in Sept.. We now
> need to do that.
> + [21]Technical discussion on 19 August 2010
> + [22]Email from Larry Masinter and thread following from
> that
> + [23]ACTION-449: on - Noah Mendelsohn - Schedule discussion
> of pushback on generic handling of fragment IDs in
> application/xxx+xml media types (self-assigned) - Due:
> 2010-09-16 - OPEN
> + [24]ACTION-450: on - Yves Lafon - Investigate generic
> processing of svg+xml and XHTML+xml - Due: 2010-07-01 -
> CLOSED
> + [25]ACTION-453: on - Noah Mendelsohn - Let 3023bis folks
> know that we are aiming to resolve generic processing
> concerns in Sept, after Larry returns. - Due: 2010-09-16 -
> OPEN
> + Earlier technical discussion:
> o [26]Concerns expressed by Norm Walsh and others
> regarding [27]TAG Proposal on Generic processing of
> Fragment IDs for +xml formats
> o [28]Discussion on 24 June 2010 and [29]discussion on
> 15 July
> o Email: [30]fragment processing for SVG, from Yves
> Lafon.
> 6. [31]ACTION-355: Interaction
> + [32]ACTION-355: on - John Kemp - Explore the degree to
> which AWWW and associated findings tell the interaction
> story for Web Applications - Due: 2010-06-07 - PENDING
> REVIEW
> + [33]Detailed analysis from John Kemp (required reading for
> this call)
> + [34]Email from John Kemp suggesting we discuss his analysis
> before proceeding with more writing.
> 7. Overdue Action Items:
> + [35]Overdue actions in [36]Tracker
> 8. Pending Review Items:
> + [37]Pending review actions in [38]Tracker
> 9. Any other business
> _________________________________________________________
>
> [5] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/#telcon
> [6] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues
> [7] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/open
> [8] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/pendingreview
> [9] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/
> [10] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/tag/
> [11] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/tag/2010Sep/0018.html
> [12] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2010/09/16-agenda
> [13] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2010/09/02-minutes
> [14] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/tag/2010Jun/0054.html
> [15] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/63
> [16] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/282
> [17] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2010Sep/0016.html
> [18] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/39
> [19] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2010Jun/0125.html
> [20] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2010Aug/0003.html
> [21] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2010/08/19-minutes#item06
> [22] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2010Aug/0034.html
> [23] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/449
> [24] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/450
> [25] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/453
> [26] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2010/09/16-agenda
> [27] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2010Jun/0125.html
> [28] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2010/06/24-minutes#item03
> [29] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2010/07/15-tagmem-minutes#item04
> [30] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2010Aug/0015.html
> [31] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/355
> [32] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/355
> [33] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2010Jun/0034.html
> [34] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2010Sep/0005.html
> [35] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/overdue
> [36] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/
> [37] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/pendingreview
> [38] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/
>
>
> Noah Mendelsohn for TAG
> $Revision: 1.1 $ of $Date: 2010/09/15 02:48:11 $
>
> [39]Valid XHTML 1.1
>
> [39] http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=referer
>
Received on Thursday, 16 September 2010 16:00:13 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 26 April 2012 12:48:25 GMT