Re: FW: "Is 303 Really Necessary?"

From: Ian Davis <lists@iandavis.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 10:05:12 +0000
To: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>
Cc: nathan@webr3.org, Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org
On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 7:27 PM, Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org> wrote:
> This debate has been raging continuously since 2004 or maybe earlier,
> so my first reaction is "not again".

Well, me too. But I'm now of the opinion that 5 yrs of implementation
experience of httpRange-14 is saying it's an unnecessary overhead and
an impediment to linked data adoption by the mainstream. Talis is
heavily invested in making linked data successful and has a great deal
of implementation experience in infrastructure, publishing and
consumption which is informing the arguments in my post.

> If someone who is following the threads could post a summary here of
> the arguments pro and con, or anything they've learned, when things
> settle down a bit, I would be grateful.

Actually my original blog post attempts to do that, listing out the
current disadvantages of relying on 303 redirects and the principle
advantage of doing it.