Re: FW: "Is 303 Really Necessary?"

Jonathan Rees wrote:
> This debate has been raging continuously since 2004 or maybe earlier,
> so my first reaction is "not again".
>
> If someone who is following the threads could post a summary here of
> the arguments pro and con, or anything they've learned, when things
> settle down a bit, I would be grateful.

Think the only really difference this time is the general notion that
303 makes no difference since most clients black box the HTTP and just
use the URI in the original GET whilst human users click the URI then
c+p the 303 redirected to one to use later.

In other words humans are saying the doc is the thing, and machines are
saying the thing is the doc!

So general theme of convo is to just use different URIs for different
things and ignore HTTP all together. Ala:
  </me> :isDescribedBy </doc> .

Which brings one back to the original problem that when you stick the
graph together you'll see that both </me> and </doc> are said to be a
:Document.

However! main difference this time is that 303 isn't preventing this
often, so it's just adding more problems. When you remove 303 at least
the humans use the correct URIs, and you've got 1 HTTP GET rather than 2.