Re: including a schema with "HTML: The Markup Language" Clarifying TAG Re: Courtesy notification

On Fri, 2010-03-19 at 19:23 +0900, Michael(tm) Smith wrote:
> Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, 2010-03-18 09:35 -0500:
>
> > On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 19:11 +0900, Michael(tm) Smith wrote:
> > > And that grammar on its own doesn't even completely express all
> > > the constraint checks that need to be done by an actual validation
> > > tool that uses it as an input
> [...]
> > I'm not asking for a formalism
> > adequate to build a validator. Just a (machine-readable) sketch
> > of what-goes-where.
> >
> > Even though a schema is an incomplete description of a language,
> > it's often useful; e.g. it can show which elements are allowed
> > where so that authoring tools can use it to build
> > context-sensitive auto-complete lists.
>
> Yes, agreed.
>
> But there is nothing today that prevents anybody from copying or
> checking out the validator.nu schema source files and integrating
> them into other applications however they see fit.

Provided they can find it...

>  It is not
> necessary for the HTML WG to (re)publish the validator.nu schema
> files in W3C TR space in order to facilitate those kinds of reuses
> of that schema.
>
> I think what it might be more appropriate for the HTML WG to do is
> to publish an Group Note, titled "Editing and Validating HTML5" or
> something, that would provide information about existing tools
> that have HTML5-specific editing features and validating features,
> as well as tutorial information on how to integrate HTML5-specific
> editing features and validation features into existing applications.

That doesn't sound like the shortest path to the target, but
I don't feel all that strongly about how to slice and dice
the information between documents, and since you're offering
to do the work, I'm happy for you to choose how it gets done.

Brainstorming a bit on the title a bit... how about

  "HTML 5 Syntax Tools"

and I'd be happy for it to mention/describe not only schemas but
also stuff like html5lib and the HTML 5 test suite.

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E