RE: ACTION-388 Take a look at LMM's doctype/versioning proposal

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:37:20 -0800
To: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
There are two related goals:

1) minimize the number of deployed documents that were previously
conforming and would no longer be conforming.

2) continue to support "polyglot" workflows where an XML-based
  development and validation process might choose its own
  subset, profile, or even superset of XML-based vocabularies
  and syntactic restrictions, use <!DOCTYPE > with PUBLIC
  and SYSTEM IDs in that workflow, but then serve those documents
  as text/html, in a way that a HTML5 validator would not warn
  or reject such documents.

It sounds like the HTML5 document doesn't explicitly define
"conforming document", so this might be a little harder, but
let's assume for now when the specification says
"<!DOCTYPE > is a mainly useless header" and does not describe
use of PUBLIC or SYSTEM identifiers, that currently the
goal (2) is not accomplished, and some change proposal is
needed.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net