Re: ACTION-388 Take a look at LMM's doctype/versioning proposal

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:17:39 +0100
Cc: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Hi Larry,

On Feb 10, 2010, at 18:37 , Larry Masinter wrote:
> 2) continue to support "polyglot" workflows where an XML-based
>  development and validation process might choose its own
>  subset, profile, or even superset of XML-based vocabularies
>  and syntactic restrictions, use <!DOCTYPE > with PUBLIC
>  and SYSTEM IDs in that workflow, but then serve those documents
>  as text/html, in a way that a HTML5 validator would not warn
>  or reject such documents.
>
> It sounds like the HTML5 document doesn't explicitly define
> "conforming document", so this might be a little harder, but
> let's assume for now when the specification says
> "<!DOCTYPE > is a mainly useless header" and does not describe
> use of PUBLIC or SYSTEM identifiers, that currently the
> goal (2) is not accomplished, and some change proposal is
> needed.

I'm not sure that I understand your intent so please correct me if I'm wrong. Are you suggesting to change the way in which HTML5 documents handle PUBLID and SYSTEM IDs, as well I presume as the internal subset, so that they can be used in conforming text/html serialisations?

That seems like a lot of work for what are essentially useless features in an XML workflow. We'd be better off ditching them on the XML side.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/