Re: URI for abstract concepts (domain, host, origin, site, etc.)

From: Xiaoshu Wang <wangxiao@musc.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:02:38 -0400
To: "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
CC: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>, "'Pat Hayes'" <phayes@ihmc.us>, "'Eran Hammer-Lahav'" <eran@hueniverse.com>, "'Dan Connolly'" <connolly@w3.org>, "apps-discuss@ietf.org" <apps-discuss@ietf.org>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, "'URI'" <uri@w3.org>
Martin J. Dürst wrote:
> On 2009/06/27 3:36, Xiaoshu Wang wrote:
>> Thus,
>> "http://danbri.org/foaf.rdf#danbri" denotes a person.
>> "http://danbri.org/foaf.rdf#(application/rdf+xml)danbri" denotes an RDF
>> node.
>> "http://danbri.org/foaf.rdf#(application/xhtml+xml)danbri" denotes an
>> HTML element ided "danbri
> I don't understand this. Why wouldn't I just use
>     http://danbri.org/foo.html#danbri
> or anything similar for HTML fragments? (I'm assuming that foaf.rdf
> returns an application/rdf+xml documend, and foo.html returns an
> application/xhtml+xml document; the extensions may be meaningless to the
> protocol but help to keep things apart for humans and computers.)
Well, then it just doesn't work for extending the referential range of
URI to denote things beyond engineering entities.  If you take a URI
(fragment or not) to denote document (or its sub-structure), then the
Web is not much useful to our daily use.  If you take a URI to denote
other things, like a human or person, then you cannot describe a
document structure.  And there is one URI, then you have to make a
decision which one it denotes, right?
> Also, I don't see much of a need to denote an RDF node per se. I'm sure
> there are special applications one can come up with where reasoning
> about RDF nodes per se is helpful/necessary/whatever, but for such
> cases, there are other techniques available already. A single special
> property and blank nodes would do the job.
Sure, we can use special property and blank nodes, but don't we need to
know a URI does first before applying a property to that right?