Re: URI for abstract concepts (domain, host, origin, site, etc.)

From: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 12:42:40 -0400
To: ashok.malhotra@oracle.com
Cc: Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>, "apps-discuss@ietf.org" <apps-discuss@ietf.org>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, URI <uri@w3.org>
On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 9:07 PM, ashok
malhotra<ashok.malhotra@oracle.com> wrote:
> Hi Eran:
> Trying to understand your proposal.
> By 'abstract' do you mean URIs for which a representation cannot be
> retrieved?
> So, perhaps, a chair?
> My assumption was that for such resources you want to retrieve the metadata.

Quibble: In the case of a chair, you can't get metadata, since a chair
isn't data.
http://www.google.com/search?q=define:metadata

This is why it's nice that Eran calls the description resource a
"description resource" instead of a "metadata resource". LRDD is a
compatible alternative to linked-data 303 nose-following, one that
(like 303, as David Booth has pointed out) behaves uniformly without
caring whether the resource is "data"-like or not - it means you don't
have to ask or answer that question. I advocate using his terminology.

Perhaps an alternative to a new URI scheme for hosts would be loop
detection inside of LRDD? I think that's close to what you're saying.

-Jonathan