Re: URI for abstract concepts (domain, host, origin, site, etc.)

From: Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:04:04 +0900
To: Xiaoshu Wang <wangxiao@musc.edu>
CC: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>, "'Pat Hayes'" <phayes@ihmc.us>, "'Eran Hammer-Lahav'" <eran@hueniverse.com>, "'Dan Connolly'" <connolly@w3.org>, "apps-discuss@ietf.org" <apps-discuss@ietf.org>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, "'URI'" <uri@w3.org>

On 2009/06/27 3:36, Xiaoshu Wang wrote:

> Thus,
>
> "http://danbri.org/foaf.rdf#danbri" denotes a person.
> "http://danbri.org/foaf.rdf#(application/rdf+xml)danbri" denotes an RDF
> node.
> "http://danbri.org/foaf.rdf#(application/xhtml+xml)danbri" denotes an
> HTML element ided "danbri

I don't understand this. Why wouldn't I just use
    http://danbri.org/foo.html#danbri
or anything similar for HTML fragments? (I'm assuming that foaf.rdf
returns an application/rdf+xml documend, and foo.html returns an
application/xhtml+xml document; the extensions may be meaningless to the
protocol but help to keep things apart for humans and computers.)

Also, I don't see much of a need to denote an RDF node per se. I'm sure
there are special applications one can come up with where reasoning
about RDF nodes per se is helpful/necessary/whatever, but for such
cases, there are other techniques available already. A single special
property and blank nodes would do the job.

Regards,   Martin.