RE: Fwd: Splitting vs. Interpreting

Xiasho,

Well... http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch is pretty clear in its one and only diagram that what is obtained from the web are awww:representation of a resource as opposed to the resource itself. I think that accords with your position.

> I have to file a serious complain in order to get my manuscript accepted
> to the IR-KR2009, which I am glad the PC chairs did.  One reviewer, whom
> I was told is a very "well known person" to the web community that they
> must respect, made some very unfair (as far as from I can understand)
> comments.  My impression is that the reviewer just simply did not want
> my opinion to be out there.

I can make no comment. However, FWIW as was not involved in the review process at all.

> This makes me very upset because something must be *seriously* wrong.
> Here is what I wrote to the PC chairs of IR-KR2009, I think the problem
> should concern us all.
>
> "I remember Bertrand Russell explained the difference between Religion
> and Philosophy.  He said they both differ from science because they are
> all about speculations.  But the former appeals to authority and the
> latter to human reason.  There are some unhealthy trend in the Web and
> it becomes more religious than philosophical -- this really concerns
> us.  One of the purpose of this article is trying to make it right.  Not
> that my opinion is right, this is minor but what is important is to
> evaluate alternative opinion through intelligent debate but by
> obedience.  It really surprises me that one person has so much power and
> can control even a workshop.
>
> Honestly, I am not simply disappointed.  I am actually quite angry and
> seriously concerned -- not for my own sake but for the sake of the Web
> community.  Hopefully, we will not turn the Web philosophy into a Web
> religion."

Fair enough... but you cannot make a valid argument by attributing a position to a group that it does not hold (and AFAIK never has).

> Xiaoshu

Stuart