W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-tag@w3.org > June 2009

Re: Splitting vs. Interpreting

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 12:15:43 -0500
Cc: Xiaoshu Wang <wangxiao@musc.edu>, "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@miscoranda.com>, "david@dbooth.org" <david@dbooth.org>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
Message-Id: <AA608289-BD9D-4978-B638-4A22B83944C6@ihmc.us>
To: "Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)" <skw@hp.com>

On Jun 18, 2009, at 10:57 AM, Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol) wrote:

> Xiasho,
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Xiaoshu Wang [mailto:wangxiao@musc.edu]
>> Sent: 18 June 2009 16:31
>> To: Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)
>> Cc: Sean B. Palmer; david@dbooth.org; www-tag@w3.org
>> Subject: Re: Fwd: Splitting vs. Interpreting
>>
>> Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol) wrote:
>>> Xaioshu,
>>>
>>>
>>>> The real issue is that TAG, for whatever reason that I cannot
>>>> understand, refuses to acknowledge such a simple truth:  what you  
>>>> get
>>>> from a URI is NOT what a URI denotes.
>>>>
>>>
>>> Please will you stop making this claim.  You and I have
>>> visited this many times [and (no-doubt) bored many people on
>>> this list] and agreed that no-one[*] on the TAG holds the
>>> view that "what you get from a URI is what a URI denotes".
>>> You again start your argument by restating a false-premise,
>>> that the TAG holds a position that AFAICT it never held
>>> whilst I was a part of it.
>>>
>>> Stuart
>>> --
>>> [*] by which I mean that I know of no-one on the TAG that
>>> holds the view which you imply.
>>>
>> I am not implying everyone but I do imply someone because,  
>> otherwise, I
>> just could not understand: what is the hold up for even an
>> open debate?
>
> Well... http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch is pretty clear in its one and  
> only diagram that what is obtained from the web are  
> awww:representation of a resource as opposed to the resource itself.  
> I think that accords with your position.

I think possibly there may be a misunderstanding here about the  
meaning of the phrase "obtained from". If I walk up to the Web, so to  
speak, and throw a URI at it, then what I get back is (as Stuart says)  
a representation of something. But what I managed to make contact  
with, and what sent me that representation, and which that  
representation is a(n awww:)representation of, is supposed to be a  
resource of some (special) kind. And Ive been reading Xaioshu as  
meaning that that resource, whatever it is, is what is "obtained from"  
the Web; in which case, his position makes more sense (though I still  
don't agree with it :-)

Pat

------------------------------------------------------------
IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973
40 South Alcaniz St.           (850)202 4416   office
Pensacola                            (850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes
Received on Thursday, 18 June 2009 17:16:32 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 26 April 2012 12:48:14 GMT