Re: Splitting vs. Interpreting

On Jun 18, 2009, at 9:36 AM, Xiaoshu Wang wrote:

> Sean B. Palmer wrote:
>> Sorry, looks like I had an old address on file for you.

But why not? Seems to me that the absoluteness of your negative
judgement here is just as wrong as the naive positive judgement. The
very power of descriptive logics arises from their being topic-
neutral: they can describe, their names can refer to, anything at all.
And I see no reason to *exclude* 'what you get from a URI' from that
universe of possible referents.

> We never know what a URI denotes -- it is our purpose to share that
> knowledge.  But the sharing is achieve from sharing what we get from
> the URI.

I agree the two roles are distinct, but one and the same thing might
be both the shared thing and the topic of the content represented in
that shared thing. And in this case, we *can* know what the URi
denotes. In fact, this is how referents are attached to things in
daily life, by explicit ostention. I pass you a book, and I say "read
this, you will enjoy it". My referential word "this" is attached to
the actual book by the causal nexus of my utterance being linked to
the act of passing the actual book. What http-range-14 says is just
like this, in a Web setting. If you toss a URI at me and I pass you
back a 200-coded reply, I am in effect saying "This entity involved in
the this transaction, here and now, is what you are asking about; it
is the thing that the name you just used refers to".

Pat