From: www-tag-request@w3.org [mailto:www-tag-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Pat Hayes
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 9:16 AM
To: Larry Masinter
Cc: Mark Baker; Julian Reschke; noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com; Dan Connolly; Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress; www-tag@w3.org
Subject: Re: broken links in W3C documents and recommendations

On Feb 12, 2009, at 5:14 PM, Larry Masinter wrote:

tools.ietf.org web site is run by the IETF Tools team. See http://tools.ietf.org/about.
(FWIW I was a member of the IETF Tools team for a while.)

"The purpose of the TOOLS team is to provide IETF feedback and guidance during the development of software tools to support various parts of IETF activities."

"The team may also develop prototypes of tools on servers separate from the Secretariat servers. The team will however not be responsible for management and maintenance of such servers."

The home page notes: "Tools hosted by the secretariat are listed at http://www.ietf.org/tools"

Conclusion:

Do not treat links to tools.ietf.org as permanent links.

Then the only reasonable attitude to take would be to refuse to link to them at all, since the Web is now such that links may well outlast the things they link to, and there is nothing anyone can or should do to stop this happening. I doubt if this is what the IETF intended, however. Maybe if this policy, of refusing to create ANY links or references to ANYTHING published by IETF Tools, were widely publicised and actually adopted, IETF might re-think its antediluvian policies and smell the Web coffee.

Pat Hayes

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net