Re: broken links in W3C documents and recommendations

On Feb 19, 2009, at 11:49 AM, Larry Masinter wrote:

> Pat, I think you might have misunderstood.
>
> The domain “tools.ietf.org” hosts trials of experimental services. www.ietf.org
> , www.rfc-editor.org and other sites are operational sites. It’s
> reasonable to allow the community to try services and comment on
> their viability before committing to their permanent deployment.
>
> It’s unreasonable to make permanent links to experimental services.

I disagree. At the very least, the link should terminate in a document
which tells you that something used to be there, but isn't any longer.
It is like putting up a historical marker to tell people where some
important event took place. Obviously this is too much to ask of
everyone on the planet, but the IETF are in a special position.

But lets not start an argument about this, I was really only wanting
to suggest a possible way to apply leverage to an organization that
doesn't want to play ball nicely when using the Web.

Pat