Re: Question on the boundaries of content negotiation in the context of the Web of Data

Jonathan Rees wrote:
> Michael,
>
> I care about this too. We've been telling people that *all*
> co-representations, even exotic ones like turtle and XRDS, need to
> "say the same thing", without providing a piece of writing that
> explains why and with what normative force. I'll get it onto the
> agenda - or at least into the hopper for any discussion of TAG
> priorities.
>
> I think the procedure is that the topic gets onto a meeting agenda at
> the chair's discretion, then at the meeting, after discussion, we
> resolve to create an issue.

I would be interested in an answer in this direction too.  I am guilty
of diverting Michael's question off to a different one.  I think that I
might have guessed too much on what the potential direction of his question.

Thinking of Michael's specific question -- i.e., the definition of two
representations are equivalent, I am, in fact, not optimistic that there
can or should be one such definition or recommendation. To use OO
programming language as an example. Most of them have defined at least
two kind of *equivalence*.  One is based on object identity and the
other a user-implemented method, such as java's equals().  This is
reasonable because had a language defined a fixed semantics of the
second equivalence, it will definitely hurts its robustness as a general
purpose programming language.  For me, I have always thought that URI is
the interface to the Web and awww:representation the implementation.
Hence, I don't expect that the outcome of a potential discussion will be
anything concrete, if any.

Xiaoshu