Re: HTML and XML

On 11 Feb 2009, at 16:08, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:
>>> As far as I can tell, the Atom feed format gets away with
>>> draconian error handling (minus the RFC3023 thingy) quite well.
>> I wouldn't say that is entirely true: Atom, as well as RFC3023
>> issues, hits the character decoding restriction, i.e.,
>>> It is a fatal error if an XML entity is determined (via default,
>>> encoding declaration, or higher-level protocol) to be in a certain
>>> encoding but contains byte sequences that are not legal in that
>>> encoding.
>> It is fairly common for feeds to contain invalid byte sequences.
>> Also,
>
> Can you qualify "fairly common"?

I can't quantify it, but I can say it's common enough that when I
changed SimplePie to respect that phrase in the XML spec we received
enough bug reports to convince me that it was needed.

> My understanding is that those feeds will not work within
> Microsoft's feed parsing framework, used in IE (please correct me if
> I'm wrong here).

That is correct: perhaps it shows that not enough people use it for
those who create feeds to both being compatible with it.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>