Re: HTML and XML

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 17:05:18 +0100
To: elharo@metalab.unc.edu
CC: "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>, "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, David Orchard <orchard@pacificspirit.com>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, www-tag@w3.org

Elliotte Harold wrote:

> Julian Reschke wrote:
>
>> If they do they are in violation of the relevant specs.
>>

> I'm not so sure. I'm not aware of any current specs that attempt to
> prescribe the handling of a byte stream received over HTTP, though
> certainly HTML 5 seems to think it can prescribe that.
>
> Regardless though, browsers *and other clients* will do with the byte
> streams they receive what makes the most sense for them. No spec can
> prohibit this.

That is true, but then it's also true that in many cases, UAs indeed
trust the content type header.

BR, Julian