Re: HTML and XML

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 07:45:48 -0800
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>, "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, David Orchard <orchard@pacificspirit.com>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, www-tag@w3.org

Julian Reschke wrote:

> If they do they are in violation of the relevant specs.

I'm not so sure. I'm not aware of any current specs that attempt to
prescribe the handling of a byte stream received over HTTP, though
certainly HTML 5 seems to think it can prescribe that.

Regardless though, browsers *and other clients* will do with the byte
streams they receive what makes the most sense for them. No spec can
prohibit this.

Refactoring HTML Just Published!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0321503635/ref=nosim/cafeaulaitA