W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-tag@w3.org > February 2008

TAG Telcon minutes for 07 Feb 2008

From: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 14:53:51 -0800
Message-ID: <BEBB9CBE66B372469E93FFDE3EDC493E015FC8B7@repbex01.amer.bea.com>
To: <www-tag@w3.org>

http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2008/02/07-minutes.html
 

W3C <http://www.w3.org/>  


- DRAFT - 


TAG telcon


07 Feb 2008


Agenda <http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2008/02/07-agenda> 

See also: IRC log <http://www.w3.org/2008/02/07-tagmem-irc> 


Attendees


	Present 
	Stuart, TimBL, jar, Ashok_Malhotra, Ht, DOrchard, Raman, Norm,
Noah, DanC 
	Regrets 
		Chair 
	Stuart Williams 
	Scribe 
	dorchard, daveorchard 


Contents


*	Topics
<http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2008/02/07-minutes.html#agenda>  

	1.	next meeting
<http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2008/02/07-minutes.html#item01>  
	2.	upcoming regrets
<http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2008/02/07-minutes.html#item02>  
	3.	telcon rescheduling
<http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2008/02/07-minutes.html#item03>  
	4.	URNsAndRegistries-50
<http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2008/02/07-minutes.html#item04>  
	5.	passwordsintheclear
<http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2008/02/07-minutes.html#item05>  

	*	Summary of Action Items
<http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2008/02/07-minutes.html#ActionSummary>  

________________________________

<dorchard> scribenick: dorchard 

<scribe> scribe: dorchard 

<ht> Call: TAG telcon 

<scribe> Chair: Stuart Williams 

<timbl_> DanC_lap? Tag? 

RESOLUTION: minutes of Jan 31st 2008 approved 


next meeting


RESOLUTION: next telcon Feb 14th 


upcoming regrets


Noah, HT, Ashok regrets for March 6th 


telcon rescheduling


<Noah> I also note that the current time came up as least objectionable.


much discussion of the scheduling 

<jar> i thought about suggesting this too (different times on alternate
weeks) 

<timbl_> DanC? 

<ht> What about two one-hour calls? 

<Norm> This is starting to consume a lot of time, I propose that Stuart
run the survey again looking for two 1 hour slots 

<daveorchard> scribe: daveorchard 

<Ashok> Thanks! 

<scribe> scribenick: daveorchard 

I think we ought to couple the wbs survey with some online surveys to
win facebook scratch 'n win points. 

skw: Ashok will be flexible in the current slot, same for raman. 
... as a group we'll commit to reviewing if it is unworkable for Ashok 

RESOLUTION: keep time slot as is 


URNsAndRegistries-50


discussion about how to send comments to oasis, email list vs web form. 

ashok: supposedly there is a form 

noah: why don't you look for the form, and if you find it, send our
message in. 

skw: comments are probably broader than the single document 
... and we might do a review of the document collection 

ht: I'll be looking into this 


passwordsintheclear


http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2008Jan/0048.html
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2008Jan/0048.html>  

daveorchard: this finding is about passwords in the clear, not passwords
in general 

danc: the editor has considered this, i'm fine with moving on. 

latest version is
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/passwordsInTheClear-52-20080124.html
<http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/passwordsInTheClear-52-20080124.html>  

http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/pw52-diff-20071108-20080124.html
<http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/pw52-diff-20071108-20080124.html>  

<Noah> Looks to me like the latest undiffed is
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/passwordsInTheClear-52-20080124.html.
<http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/passwordsInTheClear-52-20080124.html.>
The metadata in the diff URI above seems to confirm that. Right? 

yes 

<Noah> tnx 

<Norm> ScribeNick: Norm 

DO: Ashok, I think you'd be expanding the scope to talk about
alternatives to passwords. 

AM: Yes. 

DO: I'd prefer to keep this just about passwords. 

Dave describes some of the history. 

DO: I'm hoping we can just do a few things and call it finished, not
make it bigger. 
... I think we're close to consensus on the message that's embodied in
the current finding. 

JR: Given that we don't know who's going to read it, perhaps a phrase or
sentence in the abstract could point out that there are other
alternatives. 

General sounds of agreement 

DO: "Note that there are technologies other than passwords for enabling
the transmission of secure informaton" 

<Zakim> jar, you wanted to suggest a compromise 

<Noah> OK, I think the contents to
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/passwordsInTheClear-52.html
<http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/passwordsInTheClear-52.html>  and
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/passwordsInTheClear
<http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/passwordsInTheClear>  are now correct. 

<Noah> ...and that makes the link from the list of Draft TAG Findings
work too. 

Stuart: My comments were mostly editorial, I'm happy to leave them to
Dave's discretion. 

DO: Sorry, I didn't get to them yet. 

SW: With respect to the paragraph about digest authentication and salted
hashes, I wasn't sure what it was trying to tell me. That might be a
technical comment. 

DO: I thought that was just a note of warning: digest does require that
both parties have access to the same value. 
... Maybe there needs to be some tie in there. 

SW quotes the paragraph. 

SW: I can't tell if the last part of that paragraph is a good thing or a
bad thing. 

DO: I think it's saying that if you come along afterwards, and you've
got the password stored, and you want to talk to someone else, you can't
extract the password again. Both parties have to agree up front. 
... I'll check with Hal and add a sentence for clarification. 

DC: I know the history. As written it sounded just written to me. Most
UNIX systems store the password salted and encrypted. That's not
compatible with the digest algorithm and that was a big deployment
problem. 
... In the digest algorithm, the server actually has to have the
password. 

Some additional discussion 

DC: Maybe it'd be simpler to say that many systems store salted,
encrypted password and those just can't be used with digest
authentication. 

<daveorchard> Many systems store passwords as a salted hash and it is
not possible to use such passwords in digest 

SW: That'd be fine, now I understand the point. 

NM: I don't think it's the passwords you can't use. I think it's that
it's not possible for the server to compute the digest if its passwords
are stored as salted hashes. 

DO: And it can't go either way, it can't digest or undigest. 

SW: I had one more technical comment. On section 3, the last paragraph
repeats advice and examples from section 2. I suggest deleting them,
though that might make the document end abruptly. 
... There's also a SHOULD good practice with some explanation about why
it's a SHOULD. 
... Instead, you could say "User agents MUST mask passwords with respect
to their current modality" 

DO: The problem is that one of our examples from the face-to-face, the
Apple Wifi access I think, you have a little toggle that let's you
display or not display. That works for long passwords, for example. 

SW: I'm not wedded to it, I was just trying to get to something stronger
than SHOULD. But I'm not going to die in a ditch for it. 

DO: This is about soliciting the password, that's not quite the same as
transmitting it in the clear. 
... I could tie them together... 

SW: I thought you were repeating the same example, but you're telling me
there's a subtle difference. 

DO: They're completely different in that sense. 

SW: Perhaps I should have noticed that, but I didn't. Broadly, I'm happy
for you to just respond how you see fit. 

DO: We should solicit feedback from the security folks, what about the
HTTP WG at the IETF. 

SW: And HTML5, given that we're talking about form fields? 

DO: And the encryption folks. Any other suggestions? 

NW: That covers the folks I can think of. 

<scribe> ACTION: orchard to revise the finding and publish it directly,
unless he feels the need for more review before publication [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/02/07-tagmem-irc
<http://www.w3.org/2008/02/07-tagmem-irc> ] 

<trackbot-ng> Created ACTION-99 - Revise the finding and publish it
directly, unless he feels the need for more review before publication
[on David Orchard - due 2008-02-14]. 

<timbl_> trackbot-ng, who is here? 

<scribe> ScribeNick: daveorchard 

<timbl_> trackbot-ng, status? 

<DanC_lap> close action-89 

<trackbot-ng> ACTION-89 Note the old submission about logout button
under passwordsInTheClear closed 

<DanC_lap> action-25? 

<trackbot-ng> ACTION-25 -- T.V. Raman to summarize history of
DTD/namespace/mimetype version practice, including XHTML, SOAP, and
XSLT. -- due 2008-01-31 -- OPEN 

<trackbot-ng> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/25
<http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/25>  

planning on doing action 25 in time for reading before f2f 

<Zakim> DanC_lap, you wanted to propose to witdraw the uri testing idea 

ht: action 33 will hopefully be done in time for f2f 

<DanC_lap> action-55? 

<trackbot-ng> ACTION-55 -- Dan Connolly to work with SKW on a few
paragraphs of thinking around a URI testing group (IG/WG/XG?) -- due
2008-01-24 -- OPEN 

<trackbot-ng> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/55
<http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/55>  

<DanC_lap> close action-55 

<trackbot-ng> ACTION-55 Work with SKW on a few paragraphs of thinking
around a URI testing group (IG/WG/XG?) closed 

<DanC_lap> withdrawn 

<DanC_lap> action-95? 

<trackbot-ng> ACTION-95 -- Dan Connolly to ask SWEO working group for
one week extension for review of their document -- due 2008-01-24 --
CLOSED 

<trackbot-ng> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/95
<http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/95>  

<DanC_lap> action-93? 

<trackbot-ng> ACTION-93 -- Henry S. Thompson to review EXI WDs since 20
Dec -- due 2008-01-17 -- OPEN 

<trackbot-ng> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/93
<http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/93>  

norm: will do 38 in time for f2f 

<DanC_lap> action-92? 

<trackbot-ng> ACTION-92 -- Tim Berners-Lee to consider whether or not he
wants to post an issue re: POWDER/rules -- due 2007-12-20 -- OPEN 

<trackbot-ng> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/92
<http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/92>  

ht: on 73, xhtml wg said we're going to next state in November, and then
nothing happened,and then they went to next state yesterday 

<DanC_lap> (norm, the db has you overdue on review of curies; my vague
memory says otherwise) 

<DanC_lap> close action-73 

<trackbot-ng> ACTION-73 Contact the XHTML 2 WG about the fact that the
TAG has been experimenting with modularisation closed 

<DanC_lap> withdrawn 

<Noah> Speaking of actions that are not quite overdue, the long-promised
draft of self-describing Web is likely to be out within the next day or
two. 

<Noah> Should give plenty of opportunity for people to read it for the
F2F. 

skw: there is also a view that shows actions soon to be completed.. 

<scribe> agenda: Vancouver F2F Agenda Request for Agenda Items 

<Zakim> Noah, you wanted to say that after we're done with the
versioning thread, I'd like to mention that a self-describing Web draft
should be out within a couple of days 

dorchard: I like versioning, urnsregistries, web app state, web arch vol
2 

noah: self-describing web draft coming out. 

<DanC_lap> if the TAG is considering discussing state foo, my input is:
yes please let's, and let's look at the "offline applications and data
synchronization" HTML WG requirements issue
<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/16>
<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/16%3E>  while we're at it 

raman: will produce something for application-state-60 

<Stuart> As understand it raman will generate material for
webApplicationState-60 in advance of the F2F. 

noah: what about dave's work on state? 

<DanC_lap> Noah, I don't know the relationship between the HTML WG state
work and Dave's drafts; that's why I want ftf discussion. 

<Stuart> In the earlier conversation Dave and I thought we were talking
about ACTION-25 and Raman thought we were talking about ACTION-91. 

<Stuart> I believe that we have already agreed to close ACTION-25 with
reference to Norm's bog article on implit namespaces. 

<Stuart> close action-25 

<trackbot-ng> ACTION-25 summarize history of DTD/namespace/mimetype
version practice, including XHTML, SOAP, and XSLT. closed 

does norm's blog cover all of action 25? 

<Stuart> Norm? 

raman: offline gives you the possibility of doing asynch other than
xmlhttprequest 
... asynch ala email 

noah: if you step back far enough and look at offline systems 
... the webby systems seem to have assymetric state, where the state
lives in the web 
... vs systems like Notes where the client has fully featured state. 

skw: jar, can we bring aswww to table? 

jar: yes 

skw: I'll add that to the f2f agenda 
... tbl? 

tbl: wonder how long awwsw should be separate and when to surface 

<Stuart> :-) 

<DanC_lap> (a 5 to 10 minute present-only update on AWWSW would work for
me.) 

jar: the kinds of confusions we have are interesting 

I'm interested in this, and would be glad to hear about confusions, 30,
60 mins or more. 

<DanC_lap> (I'm happy to spend 3 days in AWWSW ;-) 

(I wonder when the TAG will become WWSWAG?) :-) 

<Stuart> http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/34270/F2FFeb2008-LocalPlans/
<http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/34270/F2FFeb2008-LocalPlans/>  

<Norm> The best way to get from YVR to the Opus is a cab, right? 

Norm: yes 

sigh 

thx stuart 


Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: orchard to revise the finding and publish it directly,
unless he feels the need for more review before publication [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/02/07-tagmem-irc
<http://www.w3.org/2008/02/07-tagmem-irc> ] 
 
[End of minutes] 

________________________________

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl
<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm>  version
1.133 (CVS log <http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/> )
$Date$ 
Received on Thursday, 7 February 2008 22:54:23 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 26 April 2012 12:47:52 GMT