Re: Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and Linked Data

On 7/25/07, Ed Davies <edavies@nildram.co.uk> wrote:
> Doesn't "alias" (or owl:sameAs) mean just "refers to
> the same thing", not "identical for all possible
> purposes"?

>From the spec;

"The built-in OWL property owl:sameAs links an individual to an
individual. Such an owl:sameAs statement indicates that two URI
references actually refer to the same thing: the individuals have the
same "identity"."
  -- http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/#sameAs-def

And Merriam Webster defines "alias" as "otherwise called"
  -- http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/alias

Both of those say to me that we're talking about the concept of
different names (URIs) for the same thing (resource).

>  I don't think two terms being aliases (or
> owl:sameAs) implies that:
>
> 1. they take exactly the same amount of ink to
>     print in 37 point Arial.
>
> 2. they collate in the same order in all languages.
>
> 3. they hurt your throat the same amount to say.
>
> 4. they are as easy as each other to remember.

Those are properties of the name itself.  Obviously the names are different.

> 5. they are suitable for use in the same
>     circumstances.
>
> 6. they have dictionary definitions which are
>     word-for-word identical.

No?  I would expect both of those would hold.  Why wouldn't they?

Mark.