Re: Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and Linked Data

From: Ed Davies <edavies@nildram.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 16:30:11 +0100
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
CC: www-tag@w3.org

Mark Baker wrote:
> Those are properties of the name itself.  Obviously the names are different.

Exactly.  I'm saying that the 303'd URI is a property of the
original URI, not of the resource identified, as I suggested
in this message:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2007Jun/0022.html

Names having different properties doesn't stop them being
aliases.

>> 5. they are suitable for use in the same
>>     circumstances.
>>
>> 6. they have dictionary definitions which are
>>     word-for-word identical.
>
> No?  I would expect both of those would hold.  Why wouldn't they?

5. Consider polite or medical terms vs swear words, for
example, or URIs defined by your own company vs those
defined by a competitor.

6. Because they're in different dictionaries written by
different people with different backgrounds and maybe in
different languages, which is analogous to URIs defined
by different people...