Re: Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and Linked Data

Mark Baker wrote:

> On 7/25/07, Ed Davies <edavies@nildram.co.uk> wrote:
>> Doesn't "alias" (or owl:sameAs) mean just "refers to
>> the same thing", not "identical for all possible
>> purposes"?
>
>> From the spec;
>
> "The built-in OWL property owl:sameAs links an individual to an
> individual. Such an owl:sameAs statement indicates that two URI
> references actually refer to the same thing: the individuals have the
> same "identity"."
>  -- http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/#sameAs-def
>
> And Merriam Webster defines "alias" as "otherwise called"
>  -- http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/alias
>
> Both of those say to me that we're talking about the concept of
> different names (URIs) for the same thing (resource).

Correct. One way to make this clear is to ask "how many resources are
there?". The language of the OWL spec is a bit confusing there, since it
talks of "two"  individuals.

>>  I don't think two terms being aliases (or
>> owl:sameAs) implies that:
>>
>> 1. they take exactly the same amount of ink to
>>     print in 37 point Arial.
>>
>> 2. they collate in the same order in all languages.
>>
>> 3. they hurt your throat the same amount to say.
>>
>> 4. they are as easy as each other to remember.
>
> Those are properties of the name itself.  Obviously the names are
> different.

Yup

>> 5. they are suitable for use in the same
>>     circumstances.
>>
>> 6. they have dictionary definitions which are
>>     word-for-word identical.
>
> No?  I would expect both of those would hold.  Why wouldn't they?

In RDF, usage suitability can be a property of a name. For example, I
try not to use names for RDF classes and properties that begin http://
and whose domain name does not seem to be paid up for at least 2-3 years.

Dan