RE: Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and Linked Data

On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 01:49 -0400, Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)
wrote:
> > I suppose that's just a long-winded way of pointing out that
> > each of us means something different by "Tim" (even the
> > "independent observer"). We all have the same physical person
> > in mind, but we each introduce our own biases in the
> > information we publish about him, and that's what makes our
> > URIs directly identify different resources.
>
> I completely agree: each of those four URIs may name a different (though
> related) notion of TimBL -- a point that Pat Hayes has pressed several
> times over the years.  For the most part, the only way one can be sure
> that two URIs really do name the same resource is if they are provably
> defined to do so, such as: (a) if they are the same URI; (b) if one is
> declared by its owner to be owl:sameAs the other; or (c) if the URI
> declarations are exactly the same.

Why (in b above) only "by its owner"?

Is it because only the owner of URI A "really knows" what URI A means?
If so, how does the owner of URI A know what URI B "really" means?