Re: Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and Linked Data

Mark Baker wrote:
 > Any of them, it doesn't matter for the purposes of my argument.  So if
 > there's eight URIs in total, I claim that none of them directly
 > identify the same resource.

Are you in essence pointing to underlying philosophical myths that we
use in everyday reasoning.

Reasoning about identity and non-identity of things is a skill that we
all use to survive.

However, it is largely ill-founded, and closer examination makes it hard
to defend (except on evolutionary grounds: we're alive, our reasoning
processes are effective - but not necessarily true)

The underlying notion of resource presupposes that identity is a
non-problematic concept, whereas say the Tim Berners-Lee who invented
the web, and the person who we currently think of as Tim Berners-Lee
have fairly little in common - someone better versed than me in biology
could estimate the number of atoms that they share, for instance. The
Tim Berners-Lee who invented the Web was an unknown, the person we
currently think of as Tim Berners-Lee is not. Many other attributes will
have changed.

This is not merely a temporal argument.

For many of us, a key feature of TimBL is that he invented the Web. I
suspect that for those closest to him, this is not a key feature. So
that different descriptions of him by different people will emphasize
different attributes. And once we have that difference in emphasis, we
have enough for the philosophers, or novelists, to get their teeth into.

 From an engineering point of view we probably want to avoid such
issues, which may involve following 'common sense' despite some
plausible reservations, and I feel that in general, Chris Bizer's
approach does this effectively.

Jeremy

PS I am wondering about the impact of polyjuice potion on this discussion :)

--
Hewlett-Packard Limited
Registered No: 690597 England