Re: New TAG issue: TagSoupIntegration-54

From: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 11:12:11 -0500
To: www-tag@w3.org
/ Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu> was heard to say:
| The W3C define a process by which
| *any* arbitrary byte stream can be
| converted into valid XHTML, no matter
| what.

This is the direction my thoughts have been going as well. I believe
all the major browsers expose the HTML that they are displaying as a
DOM tree for scripting and styling. The DOM tree, by its very nature,
is well formed, so each browser is, in fact, employing some algorithm
for converting tag soup into a tree.

If they all employed the same algorithm, and the algorithm was
documented, we could at least have interoperable understanding of what
the tag soup "means".

                                        Be seeing you,

Norman Walsh
XML Standards Architect