Re: New TAG issue: TagSoupIntegration-54

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 17:12:11 +0100, Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
wrote:
> This is the direction my thoughts have been going as well. I believe
> all the major browsers expose the HTML that they are displaying as a
> DOM tree for scripting and styling. The DOM tree, by its very nature,
> is well formed, so each browser is, in fact, employing some algorithm
> for converting tag soup into a tree.

This is at least not true for Internet Explorer.

> If they all employed the same algorithm, and the algorithm was
> documented, we could at least have interoperable understanding of what
> the tag soup "means".

The implementations are certainly not interoperable, as should be clear
 from a number of blog posts made by Ian Hickson who studied the matter.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>