Re: Trying to assess the depth of xml:id and c14n incompatibilities

Daniel Veillard wrote:

>   Not wrong. Thy may find an element instead of not finding one. If
> they find the wrong element, in general as I tried to show the xml:id layer
> will raise an error.

1. As I demonstrated in my last message, there may not be an xml:id
layer. The problem can arise without special knowledge of the xml:id
attribute in any of the tools, provided only that xml:id is declared to
have type ID in the DTD or possibly the schema.

2. The xml:id layer will only raise an error if the xml:id is inherited
by several different elements. In many cases it will only be inherited
by one element. In this case, even a fully conforming xml:id layer will
not raise an error.

3. Even if there is an xml:id layer, and the xml:id is inherited by
several different elements, some high performance streaming solutions
may stop as soon as they've located the first instance of the ID, and
never notice that there are duplicate values further along in the document.