Re: Trying to assess the depth of xml:id and c14n incompatibilities

From: Daniel Veillard <veillard@redhat.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 06:26:33 -0500
To: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org, public-xml-core-wg@w3.org, public-xml-id@w3.org

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 08:58:30PM -0500, Elliotte Harold wrote:
> 3. Even if there is an xml:id layer, and the xml:id is inherited by
> several different elements, some high performance streaming solutions
> may stop as soon as they've located the first instance of the ID, and
> never notice that there are duplicate values further along in the document.

  I'm personally against relaxing that checking myself.
If you use xml:id on a receiving side, this mean your application is
interested in providing ID lookup, and IMHO errors should be reported
to the application. You should have the capability to desactivate xml:id
if gathering the ID table is too much for your memory constraints, but
loweing the spec level of checking is IMHO not a good idea.

Daniel